Thursday, December 10, 2009

Huge bumble bee - light brown fur and no obvious stripes?

I live in southern california and yesterday was surprised to see a large bumble bee that appeared to be covered with light brown fur and had no stripes. I read about teddy bear bees from Australia but don't know if they're supposed to be in California. One site I looked at said that you should report them as they can be problematic. Anyone know about bees?Huge bumble bee - light brown fur and no obvious stripes?
How about carpenter bees.





http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search%26amp;k鈥?/a>





There are bumble bees as well as others on this sheet of photos. Click on the photo and you get an enlargement and info on the bee. I have annual visits at my house in Northern California of carpenter bees that have a metallic green color body with black hairs. They build nests in a shed made of cedar. They also like redwood. There are many variations in color and amount of hair. But if it build its nest by drilling into wood its a carpenter bee. Also they are the tamest of the bees. They are constantly hoovering around the nest sites where I must pass and they never bother me.Huge bumble bee - light brown fur and no obvious stripes?
was the honey sweet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
credot siosse