Thursday, December 10, 2009

I have an insect that burrows in the ground. It looks like a bumble bee and has spider like legs. What is it?

It digs in the ground. Its big, and makes ant like mounds from it digging? They dont bother me, but they are tearing up my yard. What is it and how do I get rid of them?I have an insect that burrows in the ground. It looks like a bumble bee and has spider like legs. What is it?
That is either a Carpenter Bee or a Cicada (sp?.) If it looks exactly to a T like a Bumble Bee it's a Carpenter Bee, and they are annoying and are basically like a huge termite without the devotion to eat like termites do. Anotherwords they bore in wood, but don't keep at it all the time. Over time these punks can destroy a patio, barn, etc, but not usually houses. If it looks like a cross between a Bumble Bee and a Horsefly it's a Cicada, these guys eat plants and are equally annoying but more destructive. Either way, you have two options if you want to get rid of them.





1) ';Au Natural'; Get on of those hand air-pressure pump sprayers and fill it with 3/4th warm water 1/4th distilled vinegar, add a 1/4th teaspoon of non-scented dish soap, mix well, and spray the area. You'll have to do it everyother day for awhile, but after that it should be just weekly and after rain.





2) ';The Easiest'; Buy the backyard pest control spray solution that comes in a hose-hook-up spray bottle, and follow the directions.





The first will not harm any plants or animals, but it will ward off Humming Birds, and it drives bith ground insects out.


The second will both kill and ward off both ground insects, and it can cause irritation to kids and animals.





Good luck.I have an insect that burrows in the ground. It looks like a bumble bee and has spider like legs. What is it?
I have seen this so called spider and I have no Idea what it is but its eyelids are yellow and it is fuzzy!!! Report Abuse

sounds like a ground wasp
I have to agree with hoosierdaddy1, except I wouldn't go the chemical route, as I try always for orgaic soutions. This vinegar treatment works with most pests.


ps: a picture of the insect would also be helpful here to see exactly what you have.
yeap wasp or chipper possibly.





Either way they both bite. Raid makes a product that you stick in the ground and kills the bugs in the holes. I forget whats its called but I guess it works wonders. It kills the holes as well keeping the pests inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
credot siosse