Thursday, December 10, 2009

So i've got my rats cage but what do i do about the wire they have to stand on can't it cause bumble foot?

I'm happy with the cage i have it's 3 levels and i have covered the bottom one with newspaper and some recycled paper cat litter, but what about the upper 2 sections? Doesn't the wire irritate their feet?





I'm pretty sure if i just lay newspaper down it'll get thrown around by the rats. Or will the upper 2 levels make any difference to their feet?So i've got my rats cage but what do i do about the wire they have to stand on can't it cause bumble foot?
It sounds like you have a wonderful cage! I've actually had to deal with bumble foot myself, and it's not pretty. It's not something that can really be cured either - even with the most rigorous antibiotic course. So it's best to be avoided, and I'm glad you're knowledgeable of it.


On the top levels - you can try using towels (cut them accordingly) or ripped up pieces of blankets. I tried cardboard - and that stuff can stink very quickly. With the towels, you'll want to wash them about 1 to 2 times a week so you'll maintain a clean living environment. Clean it with a detergent that's safe for babies.


You can also use plastic, as someone else suggested, but rats do like to chew and it's not the healthiest thing to ingest - but it's very easy to clean.





Good luck!So i've got my rats cage but what do i do about the wire they have to stand on can't it cause bumble foot?
Get some old fabric or old towels from a thrift store, or buy new fleece if you like. Cut the fabric to twice the size of the cage levels. Fold the fabric around the level and hold it onto the level with some binder clips. If you get extra you can take off the dirty level covers every few days and replace with clean ones while you wash the dirty ones.
When I had wire floors I used vinyl tile to cover the shelves. It is fairly cheap(I used to pay about 60 cents for a 12';x12'; square). I would cut it to the size and shape of the shelve and since it was sticky it would adhere itself. I did have to change the tile every few months(they chewed it), but it wasn't that big of a hassle.
They will make a difference. You could try cutting flat pieces of plastic and connecting it to the levels with clips. You really shouldn't use cardboard or wood, or anything that will absorb stink and pee, because you'll have to change it out often.
Yes i am pretty sure it will hurt their feet. It will make the bottom of their feet become red and it will ache. I think the best idea would to cover it with cardboard. Thats what I would do.





Hope that helps
  • thick hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    credot siosse