Monday, November 30, 2009

Has anyone seen an insect with the wings and nose of a humming bird and the body of a bumble bee?

I saw one over the weekend in the suburbs of Pennsylvania. At first I thought it was a queen bee but its wings and nose were exactly like a humming bird , it was really amasing to watch. It is possible a humming bird and bumble bee could have cross-bred and now we have a new kind of insect or has this kind of insect been around and I just never saw one before. Please help if you have info about this. We are very very interested to know .Has anyone seen an insect with the wings and nose of a humming bird and the body of a bumble bee?
Cool a bumblebird or a hummingbee! I wish I saw it!Has anyone seen an insect with the wings and nose of a humming bird and the body of a bumble bee?
It could be a nectar loving fly or a version of a hawk moth.





Example of fly (native to California though)


http://www.physorg.com/newman/gfx/news/c鈥?/a>





hummingbird hawk moth


http://www.stevenround-birdphotography.c鈥?/a>


http://static.flickr.com/94/215385572_54鈥?/a>


different hawk moth


http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3101/鈥?/a>
Humming-bird hawk moth is doubtless what you saw. They


behave very much like hummingbirds. They have nothing to


do with either humming birds or bees except that they look


rather like them. They develop from a large caterpillar, like


any other kind of hawk moth, the tomato or tobacco hornworms, for example.
Hmm..not sure. I know that the two would never cross breed, though. Thee are so many types of insects out there. By the way, it would never be a queen bee, they just lay in the middle of the hive all day and night laying eggs and never moving.
There is a very rare moth in Minnesota, and I'm not sure where else. I'm serious here. My neighbor saw one and I've been looking for a couple years. It's called a Humming Bird Moth, and is sometimes mistaken for a humming bird because of it's rapid wing movements and flight patterns. I've only seen it in pictures though. This might be what you saw.
lay off the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
credot siosse