Sunday, November 29, 2009

How long can a bumble bee last without food or water?

About 20 bumble bees are trapped in my garage after I sealed up the holes in my wall they were using as an entrance. That was 4 days ago, and they're still buzzing around. I was thinking that maybe I could just let them die inside the garage, but it's taking way longer than I imagined. Any thoughts?How long can a bumble bee last without food or water?
The bees are probably surviving off the honey in their hive. That is, assuming they're honeybees, and the hive is in your garage. Bees use honey as a backup food source, so it's not surprising that these could still be surviving if that's what they're taking in. Honey is mostly sugar, but there's a good bit of water in there, too, so that shouldn't be a problem either. Perhaps try to find the nest they're using, and get rid of that before sealing up anymore holes.





Other than that, I can't say how long a bee can last without food. It's not a question that comes up much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
credot siosse